Sunday, April 13, 2008

Copper and clay



I've been working mostly on trying to figure out different methods to combine my photography with my jewelry. I want to be able to have multiple pendants & pieces with my photography either embedded or transferred or whatnot that I can use.

I started working with polymer clay. There is liquid polymer clay available that will to varying degrees pull a printed image into itself. I'm working on how to do this evenly. It's difficult just cooking a blob of liquid with the photograph laid over top of it, because the liquid usually isn't level on both sides. I began playing around with embedding the liquid clay (and the image) into fabric, as well as some funky copper mesh I found at Michaels Arts & Crafts. I haven't gotten too far with the process although I have successfully transferred images into workable items. The hard part now is actually working to see what can be done. I did encase the image on copper mesh in black clay, somewhat of a cabachon setting of sorts. My skill with the clay is rudimentary, and the resulting pendant is pretty dark and abstract, although the original photo is also. The copper stick at the top is what I inserted during the curing process (which means baking in the toaster oven) so that I can insert a bail or something else later on to hang it from. I think it's a promising technique, and I'm fascinated with copper so this works.


I'm also working on how to embed pendants with copper flakes and little pieces of the copper mesh. This is my first attempt. I think adding the white clay was not the best way to go, at least not adding it after the piece was texturized. Still, it's a work in progress and a good learning experience for me. I'm having fun working with the medium, mixing media together and seeing what the possibilities are.

No comments: