Wednesday, April 30, 2008

going where the urge takes me


I work with many different genres. I tend to go off and investigate something new when I see something that interests me. I've taken photographs for years now, and consider this to be one of my best talents. The jewelry making is something I took to right away, and has also been very successful, although I'm actively working to turn it into a full time job instead of a parttime one. I actually got into the jewelry obsession after buying a few things to make a beaded bookmark for my boyfriend!
I've knitted for a few years, crocheted for longer. I recently knitted and felted a piece that's waiting to be turned into a purse. I've wanted to try quilling but haven't yet (it's on the t0-do) list. What I really need to work on is getting some of my photography submitted to the New York State Fair for this fall. I have some that I'm sure will do VERY well, and what a boost that would be to both my ego and my sales if I can say "judge's choice" or "blue ribbon winner" to go along with the photograph.
I've not sewn anything in quite a while, but this has more to do with doing other things than anything else. Currently, the sewing machine is at my feet under my desk. I have sewn some quilts though, with my mom.
Besides focusing on improving my website and marketing that and the etsy and cafepress sites, I'm working a lot with resin these days. My goal is to use the medium to create pendants from my photographs. I also am fascinated with seeing what I can embed in resin, and one trip through the grocery store will have me throwing a large handful of items in the cart thinking they'll look cool as jewelry. It's an interesting way of looking at things.
I had a patient at work ask me what my 'business' is. As I was trying to come up with a consice answer, a coworker told her "it's a hodge podge of creativity". I like that. I think that fits. :^)

No comments: